Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I'm having a problem with advertising. I don't think I'm very good at writing ads. I have created some ads, like this one on etalkingheads.com, but I don't think they are very good. I am thinking of investing in an ad campaign. What I need is web traffic. Other small merchants tend to concentrate on attempting to get into magazines, as I have read on the Switchboards, but my items are not the type of thing that would be in magazines- I like my buttons, and am happy with them, but they aren't exactly a good fashion accessory- even my bracelets are just novelty displays for buttons, because I haven't started jewelry making in earnest. Now bracelets, and an idea that came to me recently- greeting cards- would be a better fit for magazines. However, I should caution myself on trying to expand too fast, and I need to keep my ad budget under control- I don't even have a credit card.

I'm also writing out some copy about custom button bracelets- i.e. a person gets their images on buttons and has a bracelet made at the same time. I'm considering clauses to make having an unique button bracelet seem like the most wonderful thing in the entire universe, and also trying to word my copy so that people will not think this is merely a cheap way to get merchandise for some overexposed media trend. Not only do I not want trouble with copyrights, I do recognize that for example bands make most of their money off of merchandise. Just because I'm not rich doesn't give me a free pass to rip them off.

No comments: