Sunday, May 01, 2005

This article about the underground economy brings back memories of shade tree mechanics and kitchen beauticians. People don't see the woman fixing heads on her own as a businesswoman, but she is. A business person doesn't have to look a certain way to be one.

In other news, here's a site that shows how to cut down on consumption. I admit to being a cheap skate. I buy used books, wear thrift store clothing(except for when I get it from small designers- if I'm paying $30 for a shirt, I'd rather get it from a small business person), and wait til massive sales to get anime. My big expenditure is on food- I can't get enough. Although I do admit trying to find a cheaper way to keep myself hydrated without having to drink plain water. Maybe I'll have to drink dubious lemonade... (made with lemon juice concentrated, water and sugar substitute). And one day I'll have to learn to use a non disposable menstrual cup, to save money that way too. Another great way to do things is to get into a barter community such as freecycle, which lets people give things away for free, which reduces waste.

No comments: